Handwriting: how to support students
A teacher-facing resource providing tips on helping secondary students with handwriting difficulties. Deborah Smith, an experienced paedeatric occupational therapist, explains how environmental factors, physical activities and adjustments can make a difference, and provides some simple suggestions including:
- warm-up activities
- how to set the correct desk and chair height
- stretches for poor pen grip
- how to improve in-hand manipulation
- bilateral integration activities
- the correct shapes of letters for speed and legibility.
Deborah gives the context of the issues underlying handwriting problems in her article 'Handwriting in secondary school'.
Have you used this resource?Review this resource