Our templates packs have been designed to support your teaching in any subject at KS3, GCSE and KS5.
These templates aim to support vocabulary development – encouraging students to engage in meaningful ways with words and narrowing the word gap. They support the teaching of tier 2 and tier 3 vocabulary and offer a variety of approaches to helping students explore new vocabulary and have fun with words. Best embedded in the lesson as part of the development of a student’s specialist language, they also work well to support revision, independent study and homework.
- 13 adaptable templates including a Frayer diagram, vocab wheel, a word frame and a knowledge organiser
- teaching ideas, games and displays.
Introduction for teachers (pages 4-5)
Frayer diagram template (pages 6-9)
Vocab wheel template (pages 10-11)
Hexagon template (pages 12-13)
Word bunting template (pages 14-15)
Word frames template (pages 16-18)
Word bookmark template (pages 19-20)
Word dice template (pages 21-22)
Word jigsaw template (pages 23-24)
Knowledge organiser template (pages 25-26)
Vocab zones template (pages 26-29)
Oyster template (pages 30-31)
Shape linking template (pages 32-33)
Vocab spinner template (pages 34-35)
This sample shows teaching ideas for using a Frayer diagram template with students.
This template supports the detailed exploration of complex tier 3 words and allows students to think about the subtle differences between words.
- Set students a Frayer word challenge. Display a series of Frayer diagrams, partly filled in (for example, the characteristics sections) and the students must work in pairs to populate the other sections.
- Create a dynamic classroom display or vocab wall, adding Frayer diagrams each time you encounter new or unfamiliar words. Work collaboratively as a class to complete the diagram and welcome everyone’s input.
- Higher attaining students could create a set of Frayer diagrams of key words at the end of a unit of work. The diagrams could be shared with the class as a revision set, or used in lessons in a variety of ways i.e. guess the key word or play a game of Pictionary etc.
Have you used this resource?Review this resource