Understanding equations at year 7 is the partner pack to Understanding algebra at year 7, and is designed to introduce your students to equation-solving and inequalities.
Featuring starters, main activities and plenaries alongside home learning opportunities and assessments, the pack contains question tasks, PowerPoints for class demonstration and discussion, worksheets and student activities.
These activities include: basic practice, error correction, jigsaw, application to 2D shapes and problem-solving, and explore the balance method, bar model, flow diagrams, inequalities and key vocabulary.
- starters, main activities, plenaries, homework sheets, assessments
- 27 resources
- answers included.
One: Short tasks. These can be used as starters, plenaries or stand-alone tasks.
Two: Developing concepts. These PowerPoint resources are intended to be led by the teacher to advance students’ learning.
Three: Developing fluency. These activities comprise opportunities to practise concepts met in section two and some are there to challenge the most confident learners.
Four: Homework tasks. These can also be used as independent tasks within lessons.
Five: Assessment. A summative assessment covering all content, split into two sections: Equations [35 marks] and Inequalities [15 marks].
Each section is further split into: teaching notes, activities and answers sections.
The learning objectives for this pack are taken from the national curriculum for KS3. In the teaching notes, objectives for each activity are stated.
The objectives are:
1. Algebraic manipulation. Use and manipulate algebra with the correct notation. This work is covered in the Teachit maths teaching pack Understanding algebra at year 7.
2. Algebraic vocabulary. Understand and be able to interpret the meaning of vocabulary within this topic.
3. Solve equations with the unknown on one side
4. Solve equations with the unknown on both sides
5. Solve equations containing single brackets
6. Represent inequalities
7. Solve inequalities
Have you used this resource?Review this resource