Aimed at addressing gaps in prior learning – particularly after the COVID-19 school closures – Basic maths skills – support to improve students’ numeracy is perfect for both the transition to year 7 and for intervention sessions throughout KS3 and KS4.
The pack is divided into five units: number, algebra, ratio and proportion, geometry and measures and statistics. Each unit features ready-to-photocopy worksheets, teaching notes and answers. A tracking tick list is also included.
Improve students’ numeracy skills and ensure they have all the knowledge they need to access the full secondary curriculum.
- 39 worksheets to fill gaps in prior learning and form a solid base for progress
- Answers included
- Perfect for intervention at KS3-KS4 or to support Y7 transition
N1 number: number and place value (pages 5-9)
- Read, write, order and compare numbers up to 10 000 000
- Use negative numbers in context
- Solve number problems
N2 number: calculation (pages 10-21)
- Long multiplication
- Long division
- Short division
- Mental calculations
- Common factors, multiples and prime numbers
- Addition and subtraction multi-step problems
- Four rules problems
- Use estimation to check answers
N3 number: fractions, decimals and percentages (pages 22-30)
- Simplifying fractions
- Add and subtract fractions
- Multiply proper fractions
- Divide fractions by whole numbers
- Multiply numbers up to 2 decimal places
- Written division methods up to 2 decimal places
- Fraction, decimal and percentage equivalence
RP ratio and proportion (pages 31-36)
- Relative sizes
- Percentage calculations
- Scale factors
- Unequal sharing
A algebra (pages 37-43)
- Use simple formulae
- Linear sequences
- Express missing number problems algebraically
- Working with two variables
GM1 geometry and measures: measurement (pages 44-53)
- Units of measure
- Convert between miles and kilometres
- Area and perimeter of squares and rectangles
- Area and volume formulae
- Area of triangles and parallelograms
GM2 geometry and measures: properties of shape (pages 54-61)
- 2D shapes
- 3D shapes
- Parts of the circle
GM3 geometry and measures: position and direction (pages 62-63)
- Translation and reflection in four quadrants
S statistics (pages 64-68)
- Pie charts and line graphs
- The mean
Teacher’s section and answers
Teaching notes and curriculum mapping (page 69)
Tracking sheet (pages 71-73)
Homework answers (pages 72-91)
Sample questions from the Ratio and proportion section of the pack on percentage calculations:
1. There are 13 black and 7 white disks in a bag. What percentage are black disks?
2. Jamie had £40. He spent £12 on a DVD. What percentage of his money did he spend on the DVD?
3. Work out the following calculations:
4. If 10% of a number is 7, what is the number?
5. If 9 is 20% of a number, what is the number?
6. A jacket costing £60 is reduced by 20% in a sale.
- How much was the jacket reduced in the sale?
- How much was the final sale price?
7. Orange squash is made with one part cordial and four parts water.
- What fraction of the squash is cordial?
- What percentage of the squash is water?
8. If 15% of a number is 30, what is 100%?
Have you used this resource?Review this resource