This GCSE teaching pack consists of 10 PowerPoint files with accompanying photocopiable resources and is designed to improve students’ skills at translating from German to English.
Based on careful analysis of examiner reports and on teacher feedback, the pack focuses on 10 key skills, each linked to a different topic.
The pack includes tasks for Foundation and Higher tiers and exam-style assessments. Weave the activities into your teaching throughout the GCSE course or use as a revision tool in the run-up to the exam.
Mastering GCSE translation – German to English will prepare students for the last question in the German reading exam with AQA, Edexcel or Eduqas.
- 10 differentiated PowerPoint lessons on GCSE translation skills (into English)
- Engaging learning activities across 10 topics
- Exam-style assessments for Foundation and Higher, with answers.
Introduction (page 4)
Teaching Notes (pages 5-6)
Lesson 1: Precision (Topic: family and friends) (pages 7-11)
- Learning activity: quiz, quiz, trade
- Precision assessment and answers
Lesson 2: Time frames (Topic: technology) (pages 12-15)
- Learning activity: collaborative translation
- Time frames assessment and answers
Lesson 3: Negatives (Topic: free time) (pages 16-20)
- Learning activity: verbal dominoes
- Negatives assessment and answers
Lesson 4: Articles and adverbs (Topic: customs and festivals) (pages 21-27)
- Learning activity: one pen, one dice
- Articles and adverbs assessment and answers
Lesson 5: Pronouns and possessive adjectives (Topic: house and town) (pages 28-32)
- Learning activity: four in a row game
- Pronouns and possessive adjectives assessment and answers
Lesson 6: False friends (Topic: social issues) (pages 33-36)
- Learning activity: card sort
- False friends assessment and answers
Lesson 7: Connectives (Topic: global issues) (pages 37-41)
- Learning activity: running translation
- Connectives assessment and answers
Lesson 8: Unknown words (Topic: holidays) (pages 42-46)
- Learning activity: card game
- Unknown words assessment and answers
Lesson 9: Checking the basics (Topic: school) (pages 47-53)
- Learning activity: find it and fix it
- Checking the basics assessment and answers
Lesson 10: Common sense (Topic: work and future plans) (pages 54-58)
- Learning activity: back to back
- Common sense assessments and answers
This sample shows a student activity from the Mastering GCSE translation – German to English teaching pack.
Quiz, quiz, trade cards
Meine Mutter ist ziemlich schüchtern.
My mum is quite shy.
Meine Mutter ist sehr schüchtern.
My mum is very shy.
Mein Vater ist wütend auf mich.
My dad is angry with me.
Mein Vater war wütend auf mich.
My dad was angry with me.
Meine Tante ist immer schlecht gelaunt.
My aunt is always in a bad mood.
Meine Tante ist oft schlecht gelaunt.
My aunt is often in a bad mood.
Ich bin mit meinem Bruder ausgegangen und wir haben einen Film gesehen.
I went out with my brother and we saw a film.
Ich bin mit meinem Bruder ausgegangen, um einen Film zu sehen.
I went out with my brother to see a film.
Unsere Familie ist ziemlich klein.
Our family is quite small.
Meine Familie ist ziemlich klein.
My family is quite small.
Ich verstehe mich gut mit meinem Onkel.
I get on very well with my uncle.
Ich verstehe mich ziemlich gut mit meinem Onkel.
I get on quite well with my uncle.
Ich möchte in der Zukunft heiraten.
I would like to get married in future.
Ich glaube ich werde in der Zukunft heiraten.
I think I’ll get married in future.
Mein Bruder ist nervig.
My brother is annoying.
Mein älterer Bruder ist nervig.
My older brother is annoying.
Have you used this resource?Review this resource